The construction of the Square Sir-George-Etienne-Cartier in Saint-Henri was an election promise made by Hormidas Laporte who wanted to annex the city of Saint-Henri to the city of Montreal.
Laporte served as mayor of Montreal from 1904 and 1906 and kept his promise.
The rapidly growing population resulted in Saint-Henri accumulating a heavy debt load which forced the town to merge into the city of Montreal.
The annexation occurred in 1905 and, in 1912, the Square George-Etienne-Cartier was eventually built on the site of a former slaughterhouse.
The Dominion Abattoir & Stock Yards Company was an important factory in Saint-Henri until it was destroyed by a fire in 1902.
The Square Sir-George-Etienne-Cartier has largely retained its original appearance.
With its fountain, grassy areas, trees, walking paths and benches for sitting, the Square was and still is a nice place to go and spend some time.
Restored in 2003, the components of the fountain were ordered by catalog from an American company called Mott Iron Works.
The houses built around the park all had to have a facade made out of stones or decorative bricks.
The prohibitive costs of such requirements resulted in excluding the blue collar workers from the possibility of building a house around the park.
Before his death at the age of 83 and in recognition of services rendered, King Georges V of England knighted Hormidas Laporte and the McGill University bestowed him an honoris causa doctorate.
The Square leads to Saint-Ambroise Street and to the Saint-Remi Tunnel built under the Canal Lachine in 1954.
Square Sir-George-Etienne-Cartier by Rachel Louise Barry September 2015